It's been a good week! I've been a part of the launch of Coup (see below), and now I'm going on holidays for a week in (hopefully) sunny Sicily. I certainly have nothing to whine about! However, the late news that this idiot has been elected to the Australian Senate is almost enough to cast a pall over the week.
I've had the great privilege of working with some really talented people in Berlin over the last 8 months or so on the Coup Electric Scooter Sharing Network in Berlin. The project is in soft-launch at the moment, with a view to kicking off later this month. It's not all that often that a project you work on gets a write-up in Wired Magazine. #chuffed
- Amazon Tiptoes Into Banking Business Through Student Loans
- Why It’s Not So Easy To Bring Down The Cost Of Banking
- Peter Thiel-backed banking startup Number26 rebrands as N26 and becomes an official bank
- If financial systems were hacked
- Blockchain Roundtable @FrogCapital
- Bitcoin futures and options exchange IBM Set to Launch One of the Largest Blockchain Implementations to Date
- Brexit To Lead To UK Recession?
- Lloyds cuts a further 3,000 jobs and doubles branch closure plan
- Tech billionaire backs London
- This Is the Next Big Thing in Fintech
- Fintech founder calls Aussie banks hyprocrites over Apple Pay complaints
- Google Cuts Its Giant Electricity Bill With DeepMind-Powered AI
- Approaching (Almost) Any Machine Learning Problem
- Machine Learning is Fun!
- Mastercard Buys Most of Britain’s VocaLink for $920 Million
- France Says ‘Bonjour’ To Apple Pay
- Will Press-On Nails Be The New Way To Pay?
- Money as Message - How WeChat got users to adopt payments as a way to grow its network
- Want to work for Australia's national payments platform?
- Australian Banks Looking To Collectively Boycott Apple Pay
- Apple Pay Now Accounts for Three-Fourths of U.S. Contactless Payments
- Mastercard Makes P2P Ubiquitous And Real Time
- More And More London Startups Eyeing Berlin
- How to Pitch Your Company
- A guide to Demo Day presentations
- How to Create an Exponential Mindset
- A top Silicon Valley investor predicts what the world will look like in 10 years, when roads are full of self-driving cars
- Twilio Real-time Sync NIST declares the age of SMS-based 2-factor authentication over
- Abe the finance bot
- The Eighth Dirty Word — “Just”
A slight change of format from now on. Industry News and Blog Posts are combined into News, and I have simplified some of the other section headings (eg 'Nerding out' to 'Development'). Also, the linked news items will be categorised under relevant hashtags. I might try to do some stats over time against the hashtags, time permitting.
- Image source: 'Do electric scooters dream of robot sheep?' (a photo I took in the garage while we were setting up for the launch of Coup this week)